Thursday, March 31, 2011

For ‘New Music Monday,’ I wanted to wait a few days a do a late edition in order to let the world enjoy the last entry about Son #2 and his sandwich eating habits. Now about a half of a week removed from that entry, it’s time to drop a little science about another addition to the ever-growing catalog of music.

I told myself that one of these days I’d review an album that I wasn’t so biased about. If you look back on my reviews over the last few years, you’ll find three things: One; I tend to listen to one form of music. Two; I tend to only review things I like. And three; I have absolutely no credibility or expertise in musical reviews. Most of the time, I don’t even know what I’m talking about. That being said, this isn’t the review to steer away from my biases.


The melodic hardcore set from Chicago, Rise Against, has just released their much anticipated 6th studio album. So when I say much anticipated, maybe I’m only including myself in the mix as I follow them on Facebook and Twitter and knew it was coming. I would imagine the normal listening public who are enthralled with Lady Gaga and Chris Brown had no awareness that the release of “Endgame” was coming.

Endgame” comes with a mixed bag of stuff. It’s right on brand with Rise Against but I would conclude that there’s nothing that stands out of unique and original direction here. That’s not a bad thing. I wasn’t looking for something new and different. Rise Against is good at one thing. That’s politically charged, unrelentless, barraging, unforgiving, lyrics and music. “Endgame” is just that and is very solid from beginning to end. While the music carries similar tones throughout and becomes almost monotonous, the lyrics don’t pull any punches from topic to content to delivery.

This is what you would expect from the lead man, Tim McIlrath. He has made a successful career creating and urgent mix of concern and defiance in his intensely metaphorical lyrics. When you listen, you have to pay attention. It’s fast, it’s loud, and it’s deep. If there’s one thing I could sincerely implore on you in my writing about the dire sense of urgency in the socio-political emotionally driven stories here is to wade through the volume and screaming to allow the message to fall upon your soul.

Endgame,” and all other albums by Rise Against, is a call to emotional arms. It’s a message to brothers and sisters, friends and families, to band together to extinguish the grief and dismay in the world. And while all of this seems inappropriately messaged through punk rock, it couldn’t be any truer.

Help is on the Way – While our nation has all but forgotten the destruction and the emergency response to Hurricane Katrina, the delivery of this song reminds us of how many suffered in more ways than one. “We were told to sit tight because help is on the way but it never came.

Architects – This song reminds you of your abilities for choice and defining your life through punishing guitar riffs. It’s a welcome reminder that we can change the negativity around us. It’s the flag being raised for standing by what you believe in. "Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate; Or would you rather be the architect of what we might create?"

Make it Stop – From the concerted singing of children in the beginning to the narrated names of children who are victims of suicide at the end, this song doesn’t ever let up on your ears. The concept is bullying in our schools and how our youth are tormented so much that they believe ending their lives is the only answer. We’ve created an education system that lacks compassion for being unique and different. "And too much blood has flowed from the wrists from the children shamed for those they chose to kiss.

Ultimately, “Endgame" stacks up as an epic album of social topic content. Unfortunately, it’ll never get the mainstream press it deserves due to the musical content unleashed through melodic hardcore guitar riffs and screaming. The content is truly an eye opener by addressing everything from Hurricane Katrina to bullying in schools to political improprieties. It’s an emotional calling to arms and minds. While some would say it lacks the marquee closing power of notable ‘singles’ for the radio, I would refute that the strength of the album is in it’s emotional completeness and the awareness it gives the listener. If you didn’t care before, after a listen, you care now. This album is not full of show stoppers or filler. It is full of heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment