Monday, January 25, 2010

Once again it’s time for the monthly installment of “New Music Monday.” January had a mass influx of new and diverse music into our catalog. Some of the additions were rediscoveries and some were new releases by definition. I think at the time of writing this entry, we’ve added a total of nine albums to our catalog. While that marks the biggest growth in the history of our catalog, there was an odds on favorite to be reviewed here. Again, the story is the same, unbeknownst to me; one of my favorite musicians was releasing a new album. It had once been said that if I was granted a fall from grace against my wife, it would be with this artist. This was by my wife’s own admission as well, mind you. And today is this artist's birthday!


As you may have predicted based on the above, or not, if you nothing of my obsessions, Alicia Keys released her new record “The Element of Freedom.” Thank Jebus I watch the horrible comedy of SNL as she was a recent musical guest. Unless you are peddling a new movie or album, or are a washed up basketball star, you don’t get to enjoy attendance on SNL. After her appearance, my immediate presence was felt on Lala.com as usual for procurement. Unlike other albums, I will pick up the ‘hard’ album too.

Get it here at Lala.com
http://www.lala.com/#album/504684635190067450/Alicia_Keys/The_Element_Of_Freedom

After the first listen of “The Element of Freedom” I wasn’t disappointed. Vintage soul with a bend toward the more contemporary R&B of a new generation. This is not your cookie cutter, radio friendly urban R&B like Rhianna and the like. There’s a tune or two which could easily translate to the radio. However, the beauty in the music is its mood altering ability in your aural sobriety. Get it? It’s mellow, inspirational, uplifting, introspective, and whoopee making music. However, in a vain more like the popular contemporaries, on this record there is more experimentation on the reproduction of Alicia’s voice. Traditionally, a woman with her lungs didn’t need help. But I get the feeling that with a few of the songs, the production engineers are trying to appeal to the new radio generation of soul listeners. What makes Alicia great is her full, low-register singing. Don’t need production effects for that.

While “The Element of Freedom” is a little more exploratory from the production side, it’s not a let down and can stand proudly next to her other records. Since I was introduced to Alicia Keys’s version of soul in 2000, I‘ve never been disappointed. Here are a few songs from this album:

Distance and Time – This is the prototypical Alicia Keys tune and that is not a bad thing. A driven urban beat, elegant pianos accompaniment, and soaring lyricism. The topic of love over distance is obvious and clichéd. But Alicia makes it hers and you feel the desperation in her voice. It’s convincing. During my first listen to this song, I caught myself lost in the depth of a photo of my wife and me. The song has the ability to ‘work’ and takes you right to your core feelings about your partner.

Wait Til They See My Smile – This is my favorite song on the record. The urgency of the piano makes your blood pump. The synth is interestingly used in this song and is very appropriate. It has an Information Society-type appeal. Musically, it escalates with each verse sung by Ms. Keys. And speaking of the verses, the lyrics of this song present an unrelenting desire to succeed no matter the obstructions or obstacles in your path. There are times in your life where a song makes a difference. This one has it.

Empire State of Mind (Part II) – This is a rendition of a track she joined on with Jay-Z. This version is much more of a classic soul version and shows the entire vocal range of Ms. Keys. When she hits the high register, the hair on the back of your neck stands. This song is incredibly visual in regards to her description of the big city. But moreover, you feel as a product of the big city, she is grateful of her beginnings and it has been intrinsically inspiring.

The one element consistent in all Alicia Keys albums, including “The Element of Freedom,” is the slow buildup in the songs as well as the album. There is no “BAM, I’M UP IN YOUR FACE!” The slow reveal and burn through out the album add to the experience. That’s what makes her blow (literally) by her contemporaries. But she also experiments with a new blend in the music. The production brings in more synthesized stylings in percussion a la Prince. It works well in concert with her soaring vocals and gospel-like piano playing.



Overall, I like how the album comes together. Alicia doesn’t let you down using what makes her great, grace and soul, yet remaining real and humble. She adds a slight wrinkle to the production with auto-tune and synths on a handful of tracks while not defeating her expertise. I had the opportunity to meet and casually chat about music with her once. Her grace, creativity, and compassion were very clear to me during our conversation. Clearly one of the best. Ever.

1 Comment:

  1. Heather said...
    I'm so glad you did this review! It's a very talented artist that you want to listen to each and every track of. My list of those is quite short, but this has been added to that list. Every single song is just as awesome as the one before. Thanks for the review.

Post a Comment