Thursday, January 13, 2011

Christmas and New Year’s holidays around our house this year were insane. There’s no absence of talking trucks, die cast cars, noise making toys, socks, cookies, candy, screaming, insomnia, and holiday cheer at our house. During my time off around the holidays I had the pleasure of contracting impacted sinuses and a wicked sinus infection which spanned Christmas morning through New Year’s and into the first full work week of the new year. Fittingly, I’m sitting writing this entry while sniffling, coughing, and fighting through antibiotics hoping that the symptoms will subside.

We were supposed to head back to our individual routines this week. Son #1 to school and me to work. He made it back to school but I was nowhere near ready to go back to work. Staying home with both kids trapped in the house could have resulted in an epic war between youth and father. But it didn’t. In fact, it has been quite the reminder of time stops for no one.


From what I’ve observed, the average day with Son #1 at school can be described in the following way. It’s generally calm with little happening. Son #2 occupies his time rummaging through toys and mumbling indiscernible words as he entertains himself. Their mother quietly sits in her typical spot on the couch with some morning show while she updates her Facebook status and moves on to reading another vampire-falls-in-love-with-a-human-but-betrays-her love story. But the stillness in the air and the peace that once existed now turns to near calamity as Son #2 realizes the bus is coming. And on that bus is his older brother. And like a whirling dervish, Tasmanian devil, or pinball, Son #2 and his energy ratchet up as he ricochets through the house in anticipation of if brother’s return home.

But let’s take a full step back here. The holistic picture of Son #1’s day is pretty amazing. And even though I felt like a big sack shit from being sick, I was so proud to be part of something so formative and empowering. He’s growing up so fast.


Since I couldn’t sleep due to some foreign bacteria creating havoc in my head and turning my sinuses in to bags of ready-mix, I was up early and had the opportunity to wake Son #1 up for school. I sat on the end of his bed trying to coax him into alertness. Just like his mother, he growled and burrowed further under his covers. Ultimately, he peaked out, realized my request, and was helpful in springing from bed and beginning his day. It was humbling to sit and wake him up for school. Such an ‘adult’ thing to do.

Next was getting dressed. Typically, this is a chore in my house. No one wants to get dressed. Ever. But Son #1 was fairly agreeable. He grabbed some clean jeans, socks, undershirt, and underwear. He asked if I’d help him pick out a shirt to wear. I was humbled by two things at this point. One, Son #1 is not a morning person and generally spits venom in the form of words and phrases. So his politeness was a welcome change. Two, he was asking my opinion on his attire for his school day. Flattered by his admiration of my fashion sense, I provided him several concepts and my reasoning for each.

On to prepare breakfast for Son #1 and #2. The popularity of Costco-equivalent of Eggo Waffles in our household has prompted me to seriously consider investment in to Costco stock. Our household single-handedly can influence Costco P&L statements by our purchase volume. Both boys ingested two of the toasted waffles along with a side of fresh fruit. Both had a glass of milk and their daily vitamin. Son #1 wraps things up by throwing his syrup-saturated plate in the sink, brushing his teeth, pulling on his shoes.


He still hasn’t attempted to tie his shoes. I probably make it too easy on him by just doing it and not giving him the opportunity. Once again, I loop, swoop and pull his laces tight and walk him to his mother’s car. He’s a fan of the bus, but only on the ride home. Therefore, his ‘driver’ takes him to school in morning. Jumping in, he reminds me that he will see me after school.

His day isn’t really all that long. And any silence that was in the house will soon disappear in a mere matter of hours. As his arrival rapidly approaches, like a sixth sense, Son #2 begins running laps around our first floor screaming ‘bus’ repeatedly. His heightened anticipation is infectious and you can’t help but get excited. Today, I got to do the honors of meeting him at the bus stop. I waited out in the garage shuffling and organizing until I heard the bus. With the sweet sound of a diesel engine, I knew he was close. So down to the corner I march as the bus approaches. You can see little heads on the bus as it pulls up. The doors open and there is an awkward pause. I imagine the handful of kids on the bus and the bus driver were expecting a little something else. Then the silence is broken with an excited “that’s my Dad!

Hopping off of the bus, he reminds me that I never do this. And he’s right. Typically, my babysitting is done 30 miles north in my office. But today, with a sinus infection and absence from work, I was able to be there and watch him hop off the big yellow bus.


He’s growing up. He goes to school, comes home, and does home work. He’s still a little boy for a while longer. The timeless memory in my head still displays him as the small baby that I used to put to bed in our bed only to move him to his crib later. He still needs me. It’s just not in the way my static memory portrays him. He’s a growing and intelligent little man. It’s somewhat surreal in the way that there’s an ebb and flow to maturation of us both. There’s moments when he is attached to my leg, afraid and waiting for direction and confidence. Then, as if switch had been clicked, he is a discerning young man explaining how things are. For me, it’s about reading the tidal reports and understanding and accepting the changing roles. At times, he is my shadow and I have to explain precisely what I’m working on down to the most insignificant detail. And then the tide changes and I’m the backdrop of his life like old driftwood on the beach.

Witnessing Son #1 change is unnerving and empowering all at once. I’m so proud of him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment