Wednesday, January 23, 2013



The topic of conversation around this town has nothing to do with the Seahawks for a change.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big fan and have had season tickets for eight years now.  And even though my parents back in the 80s, and me and the wife now are invested in the Hawks, this is much bigger.  This is something wrapped up in my history. Almost like a coming of age story; this is basketball.

The Seattle area has been without a professional basketball team since 2008.  We were robbed by an Oklahoman dirt bag. I won’t resurrect the horrible details here.  Let’s just say the Evil Empire’s founder, Howard Schulz, owned and destroyed the team like it was a Tully’s coffee shop.  The over-caffeinated douche bag tossed the team aside just looking for an outside bidder to take the financial burden and non-core business asset off his finely manicured hands. Jack wagon.

Now there are reports indicating that a deal has been struck between a Seattle investment group and the Sacramento ownership family.  Whether real or not and whether it happens or not, there are many more hurdles to go and one has to keep realistic set of expectations.  But if it all works out, there could be pro basketball in Seattle again.

The real deal is this, skateboarding and biking have always satisfied a piece of my life that scratched the creative, inspirational, and adrenaline-fused itches of my life.  But truth be told, and my mother will attest to this, basketball was the one activity in and out of school that was able to unwind my nerves and settle my soul like nothing else.  I don’t get to play much anymore.  Part of that’s due to being a dad and having an unrelenting job of importance that places me under constant demands.  Or it’s because I get a lot of email and have to do too many chores.  Whatever the reasons, I miss the sport..

I spent many days during my junior high and high school years just shooting hoops when things were tight.  When I went away to college, we had an intramural team each season.  We attended every collegiate game, researched the other players, and vehemently heckled the competition like no one else could.  Once, the Arizona Wildcats were in town. The team’s starting forward bio said his favorite book was “Of Mice and Men.”  We created a huge cardboard cover of the book mocked up with his face on it to mess with him during the game.


In between classes, I’d play pickup games in the gym or just shoot hoops by myself or with the latest.  It was safer than alcohol or streaking.  And it was more fun than studying for differential equations or failing Control Systems.  Over summer breaks, I’d pick up my brother and his friends from school and we’d organize pickup games at the local elementary school.  Each team typically involved one young adult and three or four teenagers.  I loved destroying the other young adult.  Those were some great summers.  My brother hated being on the team opposite of me.  He’d always lose and get pissed off.

When I got out of college, the first few years were marked with relationship oppression.  It wasn’t conducive to playing.  I did play in a work league for two seasons.  But that obligation came with much dismay from my hag of a girlfriend and as a team, we weren’t very good.  Although, the day she kicked me out I was watching a Sonics game on a little 13” Sony Trinitron TV.  The constant through all of this was my love for the game and the Sonics.

About two years out of college, I moved to L.A. for employment.  The great thing about that company was a ton of the people who worked there were into the game.  Eventually, we orchestrated a tournament bracket and fielded some teams for competition.  If I recall correctly, our team of design engineers wasn’t all that competitive.

Ultimately, I ‘signed’ with a team of manufacturing dudes called the Outlaws.  We used to play twice a week at local Compton and Long Beach playgrounds.  I was always told not to be at these places after dark.  We became local legends because our chemistry.  I earned the nickname Slim, as in Slim Shady, due to my coiffed peroxide blonde hair and ‘dominating’ physique.  We moved on to playing in a city league in Bellflower.  I think in three seasons, we won two games.  Ouch. We just could never get our playground style to gel on the indoor court.  Not to mention we all were ball hogs.



Since I’ve moved back to Washington, I’ve had the opportunity to take Son #1 to the Hardwood Classic at Key Arena with the Cougs. The Sonics moved in 2008 and we moved back in 2004 but we just never made time to see them again before they left.  That’s what I miss.  Not just the game, but what it represented, and how it filled a very intimate piece of my life.  Basketball was my connection across cultures, across emotions, across girlfriends, across miles, across loss, across success, and was a perfect metaphor for life.

It’s something I hope I can share with my two boys soon.  I don’t care if they ever play.  But I want to share with them something that became fabric of my existence.  They can learn about teamwork, precision, competition, rules and order, fitness, and mascots that use trampolines to bounce 50 feet in the air, do a triple flip and dunk a basketball during a timeout.  But seriously, sharing an event with your children such as this is empowering and moment in time with your children that can’t be faked.


If we do get a team back in Seattle, it’ll be a level of giddiness that I won’t be able to contain.  I can’t wait to take Son #1 and Son #2 to a game and heckle the shit out of the Lakers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment