Thursday, December 17, 2015

Listen here-->

Months go by and I never make time to chronicle my thoughts and feelings.  By some odd coincidence, three people during the same week asked if I was still writing on my blog.  It’s not that I haven’t wanted to write or appreciate the exhaustive therapy from writing.  It’s just that inspiration comes at awkward times.  Those inspiration moments are insanely difficult to replicate later when you want to retell how you were feeling at that moment in time.  Recently, I’m just busy trying to maintain.  Maintain; that has been tough to do these last few months.  I can’t say I’ve been much of pleasure to be around.  Proof point when my wife gave me a firm talkin’ to one night few weeks back.

I could take this entry into some ethereal long winded diatribe and camouflage my feelings with words but instead I’m just going to get to the point; I have been in a moopy place these last few months.


In what felt like an instant, my pet went from the pillar of health, strength, and normalcy, changed to weakness, deterioration, and suffering.  In an emergency visit to the veterinarian, I learned that her health was so far gone, that there was really no choice but to make a life altering decision for both of us and let her go in peace.

12 years old.  She lived through several three house moves, flown on more airplanes than some people, adjusted to the addition of two boys and one runaway dog, a marriage, and loss of family members, an became to stoic alpha of our family.  Through those 12 years, she was always my emotional backbone.  After my brother died, she was the one thing that helped me stay focused on moving forward.  Every day at lunch I’d come home from work to walk her around the dog park.  It was a break in the monotony.

We rescued her from the animal shelter and she rescued us when I lost my brother and my wife lost her mother.  And so as it came full circle and let her spirit go back.  While it was the right decision given the context and circumstances, the process of arriving at the decision and admitting it was nothing short of gut wrenching.  I feel like I lost a very important piece of me that day.  Possibly one of the last pieces of a life from long ago.  I guess I wasn’t ready to lose that piece yet.

Realizing that I wasn’t doing OK after making this choice got me thinking about larger things in life like my parents and my mortality.  I always believed that my little brother would be here when things got tough.  He was level headed, and me, well I’m nothing close to that.  It’s an unspoken confidence you have in someone in your life.  I always knew he would man up and help take care of things when shit got sideways.  Losing Stacey and not being able to cope with it was a harsh reminder that my brother was gone and not here to help.

There’s been so many reminders these last few months.  Some good and some bad.  Some feel like picking at a wound that never really healed.  If nothing else, it’s definitely reminded me that I’m still feeling lost in all of this.  But I suppose that’s the small satisfaction of still carrying those memories.  We carry those we lost in our hearts.  Forever. 

I’ve been taking so much of this out on those around me; my family.  At the end of all of this, that’s all we really have; family.  It has been very surreal to write this entry.  I’ve gone from feeling alone and depressed to appreciative and accepting.  Time has continued to tick away and that emotional ground zero is a long way back in the rear view mirror.  Many people I know now don’t even know I had a brother.  Life has moved on and I can’t expect them to live in my past when they were never there to begin with.  Nevertheless, it’s hard to have constant reminders of all of your missing parts.  As far as you think you may have come, it’s never really that far sometimes.

And I’ve found much peace in the music and film I’ve experienced recently.  It’s helped me get past some of the negativity.  It’s allowed me to carry those memories in my heart with new vigor.  My brother and I may never create a new memory together; but we do have every bit of richness from the 24 years we did have; Christmas Eves sleeping in the same room, picking him up from junior high school to play basketball, Cougar football games, the Commodore 64 and Nintendo game marathons, all the laughs and the stupid fights.  And that’s just to name a few.  What about the cars?  The cars; the riced out Hondas, the Subarus, the street rods and muscle cars, and all of the drama and fun that came with them.  I think the cars are the one of the best memories.  And those memories are always within my reach.


No matter where you are, whether it's a quarter mile away or halfway across the world.  You'll always be with me.  You'll always be my brother.

1 Comment:

  1. Heather McMahon Scukanec said...
    And don't forget Saved by the Bell! When I think of him, I think of him watching that show!!!! I sing that song to Megan every day. Those little stinkers.

Post a Comment